Friday, October 10, 2008

too busy?

"If you don't get here after me at least 50% of the time, I'm sending you and your wife for marriage counselling!"

Thus spake my supervisor the other day when he arrived in the office early, only to find that I was already there.

But it got me thinking. I've been working with the church for 7 or 8 years. For all those years but this current one, I've juggled being a full-time student, full-or part-time worker, and volunteer time.

Now that I've got the time to devote to ministry full-time, it seems like I can't get enough of it. It's like I've spent years sipping at a bottle of the purest water, and now I've found the source. And it's not even like I spend that many hours at the office. Or that many hours out visiting -- but that I just can't bring myself to believe I'm paid to do.

Sit down and talk to people about themselves, myself, and God. It's a great calling if you can get it.

What's interesting, though, is that I probably get less work done at the office then I could do at home. The habit of working through sermons, liturgies, and projects with input from my family is so deeply ingrained in me that I find myself wanting to phone the co-director at home (when I'm in the office) and run something past her.

And I've grown into the habit of stealing the wee hours of the morning to allow my muse to flourish. So, when I sent my supervisor a liturgy for the Thanksgiving Service at 2 o'clock one morning, he was somewhat less than impressed. I mean, he didn't check his mail until nine or so, but when he did he somewhat icily suggested that I find a hobby.

So I feel that my work and home life is balanced. For that matter, so does the co-director. But we may be in the minority.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mick, you have taken up a profession that is, arguably at its core, based on the belief that events completely contrary to normal human experience have (or possibly may be) occurred. Now, if you can not bring yourself to believe in something as mundane as being paid, then how in the name of Heaven and Earth are you going to inspire others to believe in something even more extraordinary.

But seriously, dude, do you want to end up like my father was?

Cla3rk

Anonymous said...

Listen to your supervisor.

He knows what he is talking about. If you are at the the church too much now, you will feel way out of balance when its gets busy. If you you are awake at 2AM now... you won't sleep from December through May. When you have the time to be at home you have to take it. This is one of the most important lessons that S can teach you. You never get that time back, and you definitely won't have time to give it back come the middle of December.

Oh, and I hope you are enjoying my office chair. But be awake and sober, for I will come like a thief in the night, and liberate that chair from your behind.

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

maybe I should elaborate

the co-Director already tells me that she sees me more at home now than at any point in time in the previous 4 years.

I don't feel like I'm at the church too much now -- which I why I'm surprised that other people do. I keep good track of my hours, and I'm no where near the boundary everyone is concerned about.

Thanks muchly for your concern, but please -- I wish people would trust that I know myself and my limits far, far, better than anyone else. Clark, you of all people should remember.

I've gone through my period of 3 hours of sleep a night. Did that for four years, worked three jobs, church stuff, and a full-time student. Believe me when I tell you that so far, it's like a holiday that won't end. I'm home more often, better rested, and a kinder, gentler genie.

But Erik -- you may have the black leather office chair. The administrator keeps the office so cold my nads were in danger of freezing, so I use the grey fabric one. if it's this one you want, I'll meet you on the playground, tomorrow after school.

there can be only one....

Anonymous said...

The black office chair belongs to me. I left it in Calgary because I didn't have room in truck.

The grey fabric chairs were also given to me by Lonnie. But I don't have space for them until next summer.

As far as balancing your life goes, it is true that you and your family are the ones in the end who have to work it out. I am just saying listen to your supervisor. He knows from life experience the effects on one's marriage of an unbalanced work schedule. And especially considering how unbalanced you claim to have been (maybe in more ways than one... ah but I jest), this seems to be much easier on you. The way I looked at it was getting the chance to put in quality hours at the church and at home.

That being said, I was told to go home quite a bit too. And in the end, hearing that will make your internship a better experience. It is much worse when you are told you need to put in the necessary time, as some other interns at Hope have heard.