Wednesday, October 29, 2008

This is my life.

Driving home last night I was listening to a local Christian radio station -- something I don't do so often because I'm a huge CBC fan.

Anyways, because I'm in the habit of actually listening to song lyrics and reflecting on what they mean to me, a song from the band "Switchfoot" was playing. The chorus goes as follows:
this is your life, are you who you want to be
this is your life, is it everything you dreamed that it would be
when the world was younger and you had everything to lose?

I went for a walk with my little family, watched as my wife patiently waiting for our toddler to inspect every single item of interest along the pathway, and played 'googly eyes' with our baby.

We made supper together, and each tried different ways to get an obstinate toddler to eat, while at the same time plying a starving baby (by his facial expression) with assorted arrowroot cookies and bananas.

Then bathtime, and bedtime. We prayed together with our little family, and I kissed my boys and sent them off to bed. I read and put together a Adult Education lesson for Sunday until they were asleep, and then the co-Director and I picked the hymns that our church will sing on the Sundays in Advent.

Then, later, to bed.

And all I could think was yes, this is my life. Yes, this is where I want it to be, and yes -- it's what I hoped and prayed it would be when I was younger.

I am lucky. I am happy. I am a man most richly blessed.

No comments: