Thursday, January 29, 2009

back again.

Flew back into Calgary and got home at around 5. Taught confirmation at 6:30 but you know, it was more enjoyable, for some reason.

I think there's a real value to getting together with other interns and their supervisors and chatting. Of course, there's a risk of the entire think becoming a complaint-fest, but I learned some very valuable things over the last few days.

And I made a commitment to myself, which is possibly more important. I will be more positive when it comes to the ELCiC and how things are done in it. It's not that I outright condemn it for heresy, apostasy, or idiocy, but I did notice something about myself as I was chatting with my friends.

I am, by nature, a positive person. But when we start talking about the church, I become a real jerk. I love talking about the congregation and the people, but I'm not nice when it comes to talking about the institution. And I don't think that's fair. When I was working at a grocery store or for a courier company, I used to refuse to take part in the boss-bashing or company-bashing sessions that my coworkers would engage in. So why, in effect, am I doing it now? Am I really that arrogant?

So I'm going to do my best to change that. From now on, no snarking. I couldn't run the church any better (despite my best efforts and ideas), so I made a promise to myself to support the institution in good and meaningful ways.

Kevin, stop laughing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its always appreciated when people stop bashing my family... I remember sitting in a CTEL meeting once when a certain pastor started to tell a story abou former ELCC president S.T. Jacobsen. It wasn't the nicest story to hear, yet I still gently reminded said pastor that Great Uncle Ted will be glad to hear greetings from him.

That being said, speaking critically and bashing can be two different things. And speaking critically at times can be the most supportive thing for the institution, as long as its sensitive and mindful of audience.

Anyways, it was nice to see you guys here for a few days. Best of luck on the internship and say hi to everyone at study conference.

Anonymous said...

"Am I really that arrogant?" Yes, and have been for years. But it has spawned some wonderful one-liners...

Cla3rk

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

lol, thanks Clark!