Friday, November 28, 2008

I wonder...

Y'know, I wonder sometimes...

...about how much money some city churches spend to get those freakin' pompously annoying 'keep Christ in Christmas' ads on the radio...

...if I'm the only one tired of hearing and reading sermons that tell me I'm rich, spoiled, consumeristic, and need to DO MORE to help all the poor, underprivileged minions of society that I'm oppressing...(and no, I'm not picking specifics; I listen to and read a lot of sermons online)

...if maybe I'm hypersensitive to those messages because, quite frankly, I've stared at the last can of food in my pantry with nothing in my bank account and wondered what to do next...

...that maybe the most important part of my calling as a minister is to help people feel loved and cared for...

...and to stop pretending that I'm smart or erudite or knowledgeable because I certainly don't feel that way...

...if my supervisor knows that I think he's right pretty often, even if I don't let him know that...

...where my socks go when my wife does the laundry...

...why I don't do the laundry more often myself...

...if I can ever tell my wife and children that I love and adore them often enough...

...if I can ever openly say that my identity as a minister is irrevocably tied to my identity as a man; a husband and a father without being labelled a paternalistic pig...

...why I even worry about that...

...why the fur on the bridge of a cat's nose is so soft...

...if higher biblical criticism is really just a load of bunk...

...how I can be the best possible husband, father, and provider for my family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Y'know, Mick, I sometimes wonder where your socks go, and Boy1's sock, and Boy2's socks, and how rarely it's my own socks that go missing. But you make me smile and cry tears of happiness when I read/hear you talk of things like this. I love you so much,

The Co-Director