Saturday, August 2, 2008

Happy Birthday!

Happy birthday to me!

I turned 27 today. I am married to THE most wonderful woman on the planet, and have the two most adorable boys, ever. Connect the first statement to the second, and you will likely, and correctly, surmise that said boys will keep being produced at regular intervals.

Hell, somebody has to build the church. And a man should have a hobby.

But seriously, I never would have thought, when I started my undergrad degree at the tender age of 20, that I would have a family of my own while I was still south of 30. Let alone a family old enough that my eldest will turn 5 shortly after I turn 30.

I married the only woman I've ever fallen in love with (or for that matter, ever will!). I have had the opportunity to dedicate my life to the service of Church which I love for the God to whom I owe my very being. I strive to be the absolute best father in the world, because my children damn well deserve it.

I could bring in more money doing other things but I just don't care to. I think it's more important to do what I love, love what I do, and let my family share in the love of vocation and place.

I live an incredibly blessed life; and the biggest blessing of all is being able to share that life with people all over the country.

So to all of you, from all of us -- may God's deepest, richest, kindest blessings and peace be upon your souls.

Verbum dominum manet in aeternum.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy B-day Mick!

That was some very thoughtful wisdom of the ages and so it should be from someone of your length of tooth.

I hope the world is still the same when us young pups reach your old age!

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

(cue wheezy old man voice)

ah yes, grasshopper, wisdom too shall someday be yours, have you the discipline to attain it....

(toddles off with aid of walker...)

Anonymous said...

First off, I think I speak for all humanity when I say: please stop at two! Second, don't be in to much of a rush to hit 30, because then you find yourself in situations like trying to outrun a tropical storm named Edouard in the Gulf of Mexico (and no, it isn't because I owe it money).

Cla3rk

Anonymous said...

I disagree with Cla3rk. I was the oldest of three and I have three. Being a family of five (or more) means you are allowed to steal chairs from the table next to yours at the restaurant. Five (or more) means you get to own big station wagons, SUVs or mini-vans... or one of each. Five (or more) means that you have an excuse for owning bunk beds. (I highly recommend getting a king-sized bed, by the way, so there is room for kidlets in bed with you every night.) And being a family of five (or more) means that you always have enough kids to share with your friends who stopped at none (or one or two). HAPPY BIRTHDAY MICK! Ripley misses your big, broad shoulders.

...Pam and fam