Friday, August 8, 2008

goin' home

In four -- count 'em, four -- days I will be back home.

Home, to me, is southwestern Alberta, where to the west the blue mountains form a wall that seem sometimes to mark the very edge of the world, but when to the east the prairies go on forever.

When the wind comes off the mountains, it makes the grass and crops in the fields ebb and flow like waves on the ocean. I don't much care for the ocean, but I love the prairies -- it's like living in a sea of wind.

When I'm stressed or sick, I dream of being back home with my friends and family. The biggest thing I miss is sitting in a pew at worship with Diana, then talking with friends and a big Sunday dinner.

Calgary may not be heaven. But it's in Alberta, and that's close enough for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn you, Macintyre! Now I'm homesick!!!

Cla3rk

Anonymous said...

Well, there aren't too many blowing wheat fields near Calgary... at not as many as there are in Saskatachewan.

But it was nice to be in Alberta this past year, even if it was stinkin' Calgary! Go Oilers!

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

maybe not a whole lot of wheat. But a great deal of canola and barley.

add that to the natural shortgrass prairie near Milo, and the foothills between High River and Nanton, and I'm never far away from where I grew up.

Sorry, Clark -- how goes the hurricane?

Anonymous said...

The fields of the foothills are reminiscent of a rolling ocean.

The fields of Saskatchewan are reminiscent of that scene from Master and Commander where the ship is stuck for days on the sea without any wind to move them. But I suppose those Saskatchewanians can claim they can see more of their landscape at once.

Actually, your new place isn't too far from Nose Hill. There is plenty of rolling grass on there!