Saturday, April 5, 2008

transitions

I spent my growing-up years in a community of less than 1600 people. Many of those years were spent on an acreage where our yard-light provided the only illumination, a brief homage to the light of millions of stars in the black above. Black above, black below, black beyond. The miles apart brought the community closer together.
But I've spent my adult life in cities. Gradually larger, 60 thousand, 250 thousand, and now anticipating more than a million people to share my space.
I should be dreading the experience. But I'm not.
I'm finding more and more that I enjoy being in the city. I love the challenges and changes of these churches in larger centres, love the hustle of the life outside the walls contrasted with the ecclesial universe that exists entirely unto itself.
I started out this journey viewing my time spent in cities as a sort of exile, wanting to go back to a little rural community. Waiting breathless for breathing space.
But I've found that I breathe just as well here.
semper reforandum.

No comments: