Thursday, November 15, 2007

a hundred years




10 years ago today, I was completing high school homework.
5 years ago, I was just beginning the journey with the young woman who became my wife.
2 years ago I was adjusting to married life and doing homework for my undergrad.
Last year I helped put my baby son to bed, sang him a lullaby, read him a story.
Tonight my little boy fell asleep on his own holding the handle of my empty coffee cup, snagged from my desk at I did homework for my Master's Degree.

Gracious God, God of time and transition, of youth and old age, of illness and death, if this should be the total of my days know that I would in this moment die at rest and at peace. Grant me a measure of thy grace, abiding in thy love, that I might be a presence and a joy to my family, bring peace to my friends, and share thy steadfast love with the world.
Amen.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'd be right pissed off if I died now! After the torment of this semester, not being able to stand up and say...Right, family blog, can't say that. But I'm sure you all get the drift.

Cla3rk

Anonymous said...

P.S., what's with the Bambi clip? The other one makes sense, but this one...

Anonymous said...

clark,
the actual video of the song '100 Years' isn't reproduceable, hence the bambi clip.
-m