Sunday, July 20, 2008

packing, moving, preaching, practicing, and dreaming

Oy.

When you live in a 1 and 1/2 bedroom apartment, you find yourself incredibly shocked at the sheer amount of stuff that can accumulate. Of course, since a great deal of that are my books, I'm in no position to complain. I just pack them up. 12 boxes of books.

But not little boxes. No, as the co-director points out, these are boxes that, even as I toss them around the living room, she can't budge them. I tell her I can move them because my heart is pure. Her reply does not befit a woman of her grace and breeding.

Tied into this a little problem that I'm having with time management. Not that I don't have good TM skills, no -- but simply that I don't physically have time enough right now.

I work 35 full-time hours a week for a landscaping company. I also write the order of service, choose hymns, write the sermon, and help coreograph some service features with a couple of members of the congregation.

I also aim to spend at least 3 hours of quality time a day (on weekdays) with the Boys, and at least one full day a week. So, it's good practice for life in the parish. Speaking of which, the co-Director worked it out -- only 20 months or so until I'm officially done. D-U-N, done. With this stage of my education, at least.

Now, part of the issue here is that I have a lot of time to think. My job as lead hand for a landscaping crew is relatively brainless, so I have a lot of time to think. That sometimes leads to trouble.

Trouble, for example, is a question that one of my professors asked on an assignment he returned. The assignment was an evaluation of a series of goals that I'd set for myself over the course of the academic year as part of a class called 'Vocational Formation.' The class, simplified, is "where do you want to be and what do you want to do as a Pastor?" The question scribbled on my assignment was, "so where do you see yourself?"

Where do I see myself? I see myself doing the only thing I've ever really dared to hope to be -- a pastor. The only thing I've ever really wanted to be when I grow up (still waiting for that to happen, though) is a pastor.

But where do I see myself exercising that vocation? I've talked with rural pastors (grew up there), urban pastors (learned a lot there), emerging church pastors (if you don't know what that is google it), sinking church pastors, chaplains, preachers, and teachers. But where do I want to be, really?

Where do I really want to be? Dare I ask myself that question? Because the place I really want to be, where I feel the most called to serve Christ and the Church -- after reflection, and prayer, and more prayer, and then open and frank discussion with the co-director -- and the courage to admit it to myself, is here.

Which is two years in parish ministry, basic training, and a whole lot of work.

But I need to go through internship, I think, before I really know the intricacies. I've served churches and various chaplaincies before -- as a parish assistant, regular pulpit supply, member, teacher, gopher, and all-around dogsbody, but never in the same capacity, with the time to meditate and reflect with the guidance of a supervising pastor.

I've sat at the feet of both KGP and the Pop-Culture Princess and I'm thankful for their insight, compassion, and guidance. But at the same time, I was working full-time, studenting full-time, and courting full-time (told you I had good TM skills!). Over the next 12 months I'm going to be forced to clear my plate, and deal with one thing at at time.

And that scares me, kind of. I know it should scare my supervisor. God knows what I'll scheme without a couple of jobs to keep my imagination under control....

And I know that I've mentioned that dream before to others, but it seems like now I know, just know, where I want to be.

Naviget.

So, wish me luck.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

1) Your co-director is the child of Mormons. Whatever her comments were I'm sure were completely in keeping with her breeding.
2) I have a theory that stuff left in closets undergoes a form of cellular mitosis, leading there to be more stuff in the closet when it comes time to empty it then was actually inserted in the first place.
3)"Where do you see yourself?" I would think the answer would be obvious. In a mirror, or course.
4) You had better take the DEO, because you are WAY to mouthy to be an enlisted man.
5) God speed, my son.

Cla3rk

Anonymous said...

Who says you have to know *exactly* what you should do and where? For someone who thirsts for knowledge and experience, being strapped down to one permanent and unchanging life plan seems quite simply *wrong*. Follow today's dream. Learn and grow from it and feel no guilt or regrets when its time to move on.

Oh, and pack your books into smaller boxes, eh?

...Pam

Anonymous said...

This is just my view of things, but to be a good chaplain you need to be a pastor first... and I don't mean you need to have spent time in the parish. I think you need to love parish ministry, but have simply ended up in chaplaincy.

Parish ministry teaches you to love flawed people, and to keep on loving those same flawed people. As a chaplain, it would be too easy to go through the CPE motions as various people pass through your life. But if you have the pastoral parish view that these people are your flock and your's to love, than I think you have a chance.

I think you will have a different view of the parish this year. Some days you will like it, others you will hate it. Hopefully, that will end up meaning your love it everyday.

The worst thing you can do this year is see internship as a hoop. If you see it as a blessing and an honour to be part of their lives and invest yourself in them, it will be the best part of seminary.

Peace

Anonymous said...

I'm back... to share. This came to me via an email group I am part of and I thought it was relevant to your planning.

"If you chase two rabbits, both will escape." - Unknown Author

One essential goal-setting strategy is to be as specific as possible about your desires. Write out your goals and formulate a detailed plan about how you are going to achieve this goal. Baby steps are important, but keep them focused. Often we are pulled in many directions at once. It is important though, to devote time and effort to a single goal at a time to avoid distraction that can lead to putting forth less effort. Take time to put down some of your "spinning plates" and track your progress over time.

Pamela D. Crawshaw-Prangnell said...

I have my own blog now.

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

thanks, all, for your comments. I'm going to toss one thing out, though.

I love parish ministry just fine, thanks. That's not the point of the post -- the point was to talk about where I want to be.

I see neither Seminary, nor internship, as a hoop. What I do see is a good chance for me to slow down, pause, ponder, and reflect.

And one little thing -- I loved -- repeat -- loved -- my CPE experience. Of 200 required clinical hours I completed somewhere between 250 and 300. I would have done more. I didn't 'go through the motions of CPE'.

I loved the people for who they were.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for my comments. While I was responding to your blog, I was using the unspecific you.

My comments were directed at myself as much as anyone else.

My experience with institutional chaplains (save campus) have been that some simply have a shtick and no attachment to the people they work with, but I am probably being too judgemental.

I had to reconcile my own view of internship as a hoop, and when I did everything changed.

And I would never question's anyone's passion for parish ministry. I think anyone who is considering ministry would love it, in that love-hate kind of way.

Your posts are really good and get me thinking, hence why I often comment! Keep it up!

Internship will be lots of fun! I think the hours that Stewart will have you keep will be great for the family.