Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Family?

For the past couple of weeks I've been taking an intensive class called Passing on the Faith, and it's left one thing appallingly clear: by and large, churches really are confused as to how to bring faith into the home.

Now, I know there's all kinds of excuses: the family dynamic has changed, the divorce rate increased, the church desired focus outside of its' own members. But all they are are excuses. They don't smooth over the fact that families, the basic building block of our society (however they appear, as groups of individuals with close relationships) are neglected by a church that often seems to care more about being socially conscious than equipping the laity to pursue their own faith development.

Imply whatever you want from the last statement. The fact remains that faith is caught more than it is taught -- and it's increasingly hard for young families to find resources to help them with the church at home. In many cases, the congregational church has so effectively quashed the home church that the latter has all but disappeared. Parents become graduates of MSU instead of seeking answers themselves. Kids realize that belief practiced in the congregation is largely a lip service paid to dead ancestors than a living and breathing faith in the Living God. By focusing resources on getting families through the doors, we've often ignored what goes on at home. We're sort of grinding our own millstones here, I think.

I think even about my own seminary education -- I learn theology, exegesis, a biblical language or two, interpretation, liturgy, and preaching. I have one class -- count 'em, one -- in passing on the faith. The rest is up to me. It's partly a question of resources, I know -- the Synods are stretched as far as they can go, and the National Church has bigger plans than equipping the laity. I been speculating for a long time that something is systemically wrong with the church, which is what's leading to the continual bitching over same-sex blessings, the ordination of women, and the ever-present heresy of biblism. Maybe this is it -- the church had an opportunity, long ago, to take a direct hand in helping families pass on the faith through their own generations.

I am definitely not arguing that families aren't this instant participating in religious rituals in the home. I am suggesting that this is often done more by accident than design, due simply to a lack of knowledge -- where to begin? What do I say?. A lot of the pressure is put on pastors -- well, they have the education, why haven't they do something? -- except for the fact that so far, in my seminary experience, we aren't taught this either with any regularity, so we're often left to Make Stuff Up on our own.

So I wonder what would happen if some of the resources used being in Mission for Others were allocated for being in mission for all? It could possibly help this millstone problem we've been having.

Just some early-morning thoughts.

5 comments:

Erik Parker said...

Indeed this is a big problem in our church. Ask a confirmation student to open up their Bible to Genesis 1:1, and they will be clueless. Tell a confirmation parent that Martin Luther wrote the Small Catechism so pastors had a confirmation curriculum and they will agree with you.

However, I have to ask, do you really think that preaching, liturgy, biblical studies, theology, Christian Education, and pastoral care don't have passing on the faith at their core? If your preaching isn't about passing on the faith, then why bother with it at all? If your liturgy isn't abotu drawing the community into the family of faith, why do it? If want people to read the bible but you cannot tell them what's in it and why it's important, then why?

After six month of internship I have realized that everything we learn at seminary is either about passing on the faith or something that is worth passing on. And to be honest, the second is more important. Do we simply pass on the faith because our parents and grandparents did so? Or is it because there is something worthwhile about that faith that is worth the trouble of passing it on? If it is worth the trouble, then tell me what that faith is all about.

Erik Parker said...

(awww... crap I pushsed publish before I was ready)

With that being said, you have really hit the nail on the head. Given what I have seen of most pastors, they don't realize that what they learned at seminary is about passing on the faith, instead they are relying on Steve Bell videos. I think the seminary has realized this disconnect, which is why we write more sermons as assignments or make more presentations that are "for a congregation" but they need to be more explicit about this issue in our church!

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

Erik,
I didn't mean to make the point that what I learn at Seminary isn't about passing on the faith - what I'm getting at is that I'm learning these things -- and still seeing young families abandoning the church in droves for other traditions or none at all.
The entire point is your second paragraph - if I (emphasize that) do liturgy and draw the community, if I (emphasis again) need to tell people what's in the bible then being a pastor is suddenly about creating a cult of the individual and NOT equipping the laity. It becomes the gospel of mick rather than the gospel of the Christ.
I'm not arguing that the pastor shouldn't have some responsibility for passing on the faith; what I'm arguing is that the church shouldn't work to keep the clergy's monopoly on it.

Erik Parker said...

Oh, absolutely I agree with you!

I think we, as future pastors, need to be intentional about making our preaching something that is participatory, whether it is by having text study groups or whatever. We need to make liturgy an actual work of the people. Train assistant ministers, acolytes, crucifers, readers, cantors. I think its sinful that the pastor is the only person up front on Sunday mornings. Luckily, my congregation here does do all that stuff, but its the exception.

But I think the issue that you are really getting at is the culture of "the pastor does everything" that we have bred into the Church. And in some ways its so easy as a pastor to go with flow than push the other direction. One thing that I have learned here is that churches live and die on people's involvement. People want to be needed and want things to be meaningful.

Hope gets people involved in just about everything, yet there are 10 congregations in Calgary whose combined total membership is the roughly the same as Hope's is. I can guarantee that they are doing things the way you describe. We will have our work cut out for us! Its going to be a tough sell convincing people that instead of "the pastor will do it" the church must have a culture of "we will do it together".

Anonymous said...

So when are you going to posting the other 94 theses?

Cla3rk