Thursday, March 11, 2010

thoughts in real time

I scrolled through the pictures of my family posted below, and realized that I really am blessed beyond all measure and comprehension. I am humbled by the love of my family and friends, and thank God each and every day for all of you.

I wish that I would hear something from some congregation about my future. I could use a word about that right now.

Today I prayed that a friend would see the power of God not in natural disasters that affect our world, but rather in the way that the children of God unite and care for each other in their times of need.

I've realized that I'm blessed to be able to worry about how to get our van fixed or replaced, instead of worrying about how we could juggle our schedules with the buses' and not miss anyone or be late for work.

A friend told me she's going to be baptized. That's true perspective -- eternal joy; and the rejoicing of God's heart at God's children coming home. I suspect even the angels are dancing now.

I wish I could get a hug from my mom right about now.

But I'll go now, and watch little chests rising and falling. I'll straighten blankets, like she did for me when I was small. I'll smooth dream-wrinkled foreheads and return stuffies to their places of honour in the arms of their sleeping friends. I'll kiss fingers and noses, and crawl into bed beside their mother, my wife, my life.

And I'll sleep tonight, awed by the glimpses of reality that I saw today. God's reality. Not mine. My reality is small, and petty. God's reality is grace, and hope, and faith, and love.

And I am a man most richly surrounded by the greatest of these -- love.

2 comments:

D said...

Michael, for everything there is a season. God will not abandon you, my father is always there. When I feel I have lost all hope, He stops by and lets me know I am not alone.

Neither are you.

Rev. Michael Macintyre said...

D,
I never thought I was.