Saturday, November 21, 2009

John 1:3

All things came into being through him, and without him not one thing came into being.

Thirteen Sonnets, 1
I have been stone, dust of speace, sea, and sphere:
flamed in the supernova before man
or manmade gods made claim to have shaped me.
I have always been, will always be, I
am a pinch of earth compressed in the span
of a snail-shell: galaxies' energy,
the centre of the sun, the arch of sky.
I became all that all things ever can.
I will be here: I have always been here.
Buddha had to walk upon me: my snows
were not so kind, my ice was sharp as grass.
Upon me, even Christ encountered fear:
the nails were mine, the mallet mine, the blows
were mine. I grew the tree that grew the Cross.

- Michael Hartnett, from A Book of Uncommon Prayer, Theo Dorgan, Editor.

No comments: